Date: 2/8/2022
CHICOPEE – Principal of Chicopee High School Carol Kruser introduced a bold new pilot program that would prohibit students’ excessive cell phone usage during last month’s meeting.
After deliberation, the School Committee approved a temporary waive of the district’s cell phone policy for Chicopee High School and Chicopee Comprehensive High School during their Feb. 2 meeting.
The temporary policy waive allows both schools to dictate their own approach to prohibiting cell phone usage. Kruser introduced the pilot program Yondr as Chicopee High School’s preferred direction. The program would utilize the California-based company to provide personal pouches for students to store their phone in during the school day, with a magnetic device on the pouches locking the phones in a protected space, according to Kruser’s address to the committee during the Jan. 19 meeting.
Members of the community expressed displeasure with the program. Ward 2 School Committee member David Barsalou shared that many of his constituents felt they were left out of decision-making process for the new cell phone policy. “I don’t like the fact we are treating high school kids like children…when somebody violates any rule, the parents should be notified and there should be consequences,” said Barsalou
Superintendent Lynn Clark acknowledged that the program formed quickly, but noted it’s expedited process as necessary given the unending distractions from student cell phone usage. She believes that both schools’ principals will offer proper education about the policy change.
“I have no doubt at all that [Principal Kruser] will reach out to parents, talk to parents and explain to them what’s happening…I do believe that all of that will be done,” said Clark, who views the policy waiver as an immediate way to support the Chicopee High School staff. The superintendent also stressed that waive of policy will be temporary to see the new policy’s effectiveness.
For Chicopee Comprehensive High School, Clark shared that plan remains flexible. She shared that the school is planning on foregoing the pilot program, with administrators instead confiscating cell phones during class time. Both schools are likely to enact their changed policies after informing staff and parents, according to Clark.
While it’s expected for the policy to receive some pushback, Clark expressed that giving both schools autonomy on their cell phone policy is necessary given student’s overuse of cell phones. “It’s certainly going to be an adjustment. It’s one of those rules that we implement where it’s going to get harder before it gets better,” said Clark.
Mayor and School Committee Chair John Vieau echoed the superintendent’s sentiments. “Principal Kruser did make it clear that her faculty and staff need something, and they need something now. They are reaching for anything to help, and this is the solution that’s in the best interest of their school at this particular time,” said Vieau.
The School Committee approved the temporary waiver in a 12-1 vote.